LeCont: history and future
The company producer of LeCont tyres, which started its commercial activity (at regime) in 1994, was actually founded in 1993 by brothers Sergio and Valter Cont, industrials of Trentino area today head of the Cont Group (present in the renewable energies, mechanical industry and in the construction field), but also great enthusiasts of motorsports that, when younger, they practiced personally racing both in karting and in motorscross.
During its history in competitions, LeCont has won 38 Italian Championship titles. The first, still with the brand “PneusK”, was won on 1997 in motorcross (in the prestigious 250 cm3Visp category). Such discipline on two wheels was, though, abandoned by the Italian company of Rovereto (TN) in the following year, to focus completely on karting.
Since then, LeCont tyres have brought a number of kart drivers to success in 37 Italian Champioships on four wheels. Among these, up to 19 have been conquered in the top class of the 125 cm3 with gears.
These numbers also include two titles won by drivers using LeCont tyres branded “All Tyres” and another six titles with the brand “Cont Sport Tyres”. At the same time LeCont has along the years produced tyres for mini-moto and racing cars (in 10” and 13” sizes with traditional cross plies carcass).
As manufacturer of high performance compounds for competition tyre tread and supplier of such products for other companies (including very well known international names), LeCont has indirectly won a number of national and international titles (among which six European Championships) in car racing.These include categories of very high prestige and popularity, but also World Championships in other categories of track racing.
In the last 5 years...
- In 2011 and 2012 LeCont has been the exclusive supplier selected from CIK-FIA to equip all drivers participating to the World U18 Championship and the CIK-FIA Academy Trophy.
- From 2011 to 2013 LeCont has been selected from the French Federation (FFSA) as exclusive supplier of the French Endurance Championship (KF2 and Rotax Max). LeCont is also exclusive supplier of the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans karting and the EuroEndurance Series.
- In 2012 and 2013 LeCont has equipped all the categories of the national karting Championships in Italy, Sweden, Lituania and Romania (SKAT), the Formule Blue and F. Blue Jr categories of the British Championship, and also the 60 Minikart category of the prestigious private series of the WSK and in the private Belgian series (CIB- IAME), and all the categories of the French Championship Ufolep.
- In 2013 LeCont has been selected from CIK-FIA as exclusive supplier company to equip all drivers racing in the World KFJ Karting Championship, the European KFJ Karting Championship and the SuperCup KFJ. Also the Mexican Federation has selected LeCont to supply all drivers of the Mexican CIK-FIA Championship.
- This year LeCont supplies in exclusive the KF2 category of the Italian Karting Championship, and also all categories of the national Championships in Sweden and Romania (SKAT),the new Bambino class created by the British Federation MSA and a number of private series in Europe.
- From 2014 to 2016 LeCont has also been confirmed from the French Federation (FFSA) as exclusive supplier company of the French Endurance Championship (KF2 and Rotax Max). LeCont supplies in exclusive the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans karting and the EuroEndurance Series.